DIRECTIONS: Read the assignment prompt. Use the material in the right pane to review the sources and your answers from the Inquiry page, by selecting a source and then using the tabs. Compose your answer in the box on the left. Use the email form to send your answer to your instructor.
ASSIGNMENT: Some books say something like this: "Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a White man. African Americans heard this and decided to boycott the buses." But this is a brief description of a complex event. Write a more complete answer to the question: Why did the boycott of Montgomery’s buses succeed?
Use the documents and your background knowledge to support your ideas. Include specific examples and quotes.
COMPOSE ESSAY ANSWER:
REVIEW THE NOTEBOOK:
These definitions should help with reading comprehension.
- alleged: claimed, but not proven
- "negroes": word used to refer to African Americans at this time
- Circuit Court of Montgomery: local city court where Rosa Parks was first tried and found guilty
- Court of Appeals of Alabama: state court where Rosa Parks appealed her conviction
- affidavit: sworn written statement submitted to a court
This seating diagram was an exhibit in the Parks v. City of Montgomery trial. The image shows where Rosa Parks sat on the bus.