DIRECTIONS: Read the assignment prompt. Use the material in the right pane to review the sources and your answers from the Inquiry page, by selecting a source and then using the tabs. Compose your answer in the box on the left. Use the email form to send your answer to your instructor.
ASSIGNMENT: Historians agree that Social Security is at the heart of New Deal reform. Given that, what does Social Security tell us about the set of policies and programs called the New Deal?
COMPOSE ESSAY ANSWER:
REVIEW THE NOTEBOOK:
These definitions should help with reading comprehension.
- provision: amount of money
- utilities: industries that supplied electric power
- stockholder: someone who owns shares in a company
- mandate: an order or command
- economic royalist: a term used by FDR in the election of 1936 to signify those who accepted great differences in personal wealth as appropriate
Social Security as stealing
Listen to Historian Mike O'Malley contextualize the letter.